Two-time welterweight champion Andr Berto is rooting for current UFC featherweight champion Conor McGregor to win in his upcoming fight against Nate Diaz. The two men will be facing each other as the main event feature of UFC 196 on Saturday, March 5th, at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.
Originally, the said match-up was a lightweight title fight between McGregor and lightweight champion Rafael dos Anjos. But when dos Anjos pulled out 11 days before fight night, the UFC called on Diaz as one of the potential replacements. When the latter gave his OK, top management then stipulated for it to become a non-title welterweight bout instead.
McGregor has been on a roll so far, having managed to remain undefeated since his UFC debut in 2013. “The Notorious” won the UFC interim featherweight belt against two-time 145-pound title contender Chad Mendes at UFC 189 in July via a second round knockout.
He then solidified his status as the UFC’s featherweight king when he defeated former long-time champion Jos Aldo at UFC 194 in December within 13 seconds of the fight using a single straight left hand.
The brash-talking Irishman has impressed fight fans so far, that many of them are already rooting for him to win against Diaz. One of them is Berto, who spoke to TMZ (via a report by Bloody Elbow) about his thoughts on the fight.
“It’s gonna be a good one. You know, Conor’s my boy, man,” Berto said. “I think Conor finna take it. I think he’s gonna take it, knock out.”
Berto did predict an early stoppage for McGregor, which he believes will happen either in the first or second round. And while he recognizes the toughness of Diaz, he believes stepping in on two weeks’ notice could be a factor.
“Like I said, it’s two week’s notice. But it’s going to be a good fight, man,” he said. “Everybody [unintelligable], but I’m rockin’ my man Conor, for sure.”