'True Detective' season 3 rumors: Matthew McConaughey eager to reprise his role in the anthology

0

There might be some hope left that a third installment of the “True Detective” series may come to fruition based on Matthew McConaughey’s recent statements about reprising his role.

The Academy Award winner played the lead, detective Rustin “Rust” Cohle, in the debut iteration of the police procedural anthology which aired back in 2014.

“I miss Rust Cohle, man,” McConaughey spilled during his recent guest stint on DirecTV’s “The Rick Eisen Show.” “I miss watching him on Sunday nights,” he added.

These comments eventually sparked the fuse that, just maybe, HBO is already back on track to restarting the stalled project.

While “True Detective” follows an anthology format, the show is supposedly willing to throw the parameters outside the window just to bring back McConaughey. It turns out that one of HBO’s conditions in green lighting a trilogy capper would be if the show is able to recast the original cast members, which includes Woody Harrelson and Michelle Monaghan.

This is not surprising since the sophomore iteration of the show was not as successful as its predecessor. In fact, season 2 had become a major letdown for fans and was severe enough to have sprouted cancellation rumors.

Despite his admission to wanting to come back to work for the Louisiana State Police Department, McConaughey is still picky about the premise of the alleged third season of “True Detective.”

“It would have to be the right context, the right way,” McConaughey told Eisen. “That thing when I read [the original script] I knew in 20 minutes if I can play this guy, Rustin Cohle, I’m in,” the 46-year-old thespian explained.

McConaughey then chalked up his eagerness to reprise the role to his spectacular experience while filming the show adding, “I was a happy man when I made that for six months, because I was on my own island. Luckily my wife put up with me,” the Oscar winner said. It also helped that he earned an Emmy nomination for his performance in the show.

Earlier this year, HBO’s former programming head Michael Lombardo took the blame for the lackluster performance of “True Detective” season 2, explaining that he might have been too eager to do a follow-up. This may have put immense pressure on series creator Nic Pizzolatto, which could have resulted in the one-dimensional story that the season had.

Regardless, Lombardo was still optimistic about the idea of “True Detective” season 3. Unfortunately, now that the executive has stepped down from his post at the network, some believe that the notion of another season is more farfetched now more than ever.