'Star Wars' spin-off cast news: thousands have auditioned for 'Han Solo' movie so far

0

Disney and Lucasfilm are in the early stages of auditions for the role of young Han Solo in a planned “Star Wars” spin-off. 

According to The Hollywood Reporter, over 2,500 actors have either sent audition tapes or have met casting director Jeanne McCarthy for the role. The planned “Han Solo” movie is expected to start shooting in January 2017 and be released on May 25, 2018. 

“This has been the easiest movie to audition for. They are seeing everyone,” an agent, whose client has auditioned for the role, told THR. 

Auditioning actors range from young to relatively young, from 16-year-old “The Walking Dead” actor Chandler Riggs, who plays Carl Grimes, to 34-year-old “Mr. Robot” actor Rami Malek, have reportedly auditioned. 

Other actors include established stars like Aaron Taylor-Johnson and Miles Teller. “Jurassic World” actor Nick Robinson, “Fury” actor Logan Lerman, and “The Purge” actor Tony Oller are said to have also thrown their names into the mix.

Casting directors are also looking outside the United States. Reported to be under consideration are English actors Tom Felton and Ed Westwick. 

Phil Lord and Chris Miller will direct the spin-off and are said to be looking for someone who has some resemblance to young Harrison Ford. He should be versatile enough to be charming and funny. 

Lord and Miller are known for directing movies such as “21 Jump Street” and “22 Jump Street.” The duo wrote scripts for successful flicks such as “Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2” and “The Lego Movie.” They are also contracted to write the scripts for “The Lego Batman Movie,” “The Flash,” and the upcoming “Spider-Man” film. 

Being in a “Star Wars” film could be a big boost for an actor’s career as it was for Ford in 1977. 

The project is said to be under the code name “Red Cup” and is being written by brothers Jon and Lawrence Kasdan.