“Star Wars: The Force Awakens” actress Daisy Ridley recently opened up about filming “Episode VIII,” the next film in the “Star Wars” sequel trilogy.
Speaking to MTV News from the Academy Awards red carpet on Feb. 28, Ridley, who is reprising her role as Rey in the next film, revealed that “Episode VIII” will pick up right where the previous film left off. That is, with Rey and Luke (Mark Hamill) on an island in the distant planet where the old Jedi knight has been hiding. As fans know, “The Force Awakens” concluded with Rey finding Luke and handing him his old lightsaber.
“Me and Mark have been rehearsing a lot, and it’s really amazing,” Ridley said. The actress recounted how she and Hamill and the film’s crew went back to Skellig Michael, the island off the coast of Ireland where the final scene of “The Force Awakens” was shot back in 2014, saying that it was “crazy” how they had to do the same scene but with a different crew than before.
“He’s amazing to rehearse with, and I’m very excited to be doing the rest of the stuff,” the actress added.
Meanwhile, Hamill caused an “Episode VIII” speculation frenzy earlier this week after he made some comments about his co-star, Ridley, that some took to be hints about their characters’ true relationship in “Star Wars.”
According to The Sun, the actor was holding a question-and-answer session with “Star Wars” fans earlier this week at the Oxford Union when he was asked about his experience working with Ridley on the upcoming “Episode VIII.” The actor replied with much praise for the young actress, saying that she was “incredible” and “genuine” and “appealing.”
The part that caused a bit of an uproar was when he said, “She’s my daughter’s age – and that’s how I relate to her.” According to the outlet, this last statement drew gasps and laughter from the crowd before the actor quickly added, “I don’t mean anything by that. As actors that’s how I relate to that.”
“Star Wars: Episode VIII” is scheduled to open Dec. 15, 2017.