It will not be a “Star Wars” trilogy without Warwick Davis. And despite already appearing in J.J. Abrams’ “Episode VII The Force Awakens” last year as Wollivan, he has been tapped to appear once again, this time by Rian Johnson, director of the still untitled “Episode VIII” flick.
The “Star Wars” veteran, who first came into the franchise bringing life to Ewok, Wicket, in “Episode VI Return of the Jedi,” confirmed the casting himself while talking to News.com.au.
“I do, yes. That’s all I can say,” he straightforwardly said, upholding the mystery that shrouds any film from the franchise.
Despite refusing to talk about his upcoming, yet to be revealed character in the middle film of the new trilogy, his comments gives fans something to hold on to regarding “Episode VIII.”
“There were some wonderful moments, some moving moments and it was full of all the action that we expect, so for me it ticked all the boxes, I loved it. And I think it sets up the trilogy very well,” Davis teased when asked about how he found “The Force Awakens.”
However, the takeaway from his interview follows when he continued, “Obviously we’re moving into the territory of ‘Episode VIII’ very soon as well, and much like ‘Empire Strikes Back’ I’m sure it’s going to deliver some quite impactful story moments, and it’ll leave us with some cliffhangers as well which resolve in ‘Episode IX.'”
It is not like “The Force Awakens” did not end in a squeaker as the only look fans had of Mark Hamill’s Luke Skywalker in three decades was when new heroine, Rey, played by Daisy Ridley, hands him his lightsaber in Planet Ahch-To. But getting hints from Davis’ comments, it seems like Johnson is ramping up the tension that fans would have to endure until Colin Trevorrow’s “Episode IX.” Fortunately, it will be a shorter wait with only a year and five months in between the last two flicks in the new trilogy instead of a full two-year break.
This is not the first time that “Episode VIII” has been compared to “Episode V The Empire Strikes Back.” Adam Driver who imbibes the brand-new idealism of the dark side in Kylo Ren previously said that the forthcoming flick resonates with the fan favorite installment. However, the 32-year-old clarified that he was not just referring to the similarity in tone as many assumed as going dark; instead, he said that it will be shifting significantly in terms of storytelling. In fact, Driver recently cleared up whatever misunderstanding his previous comments created.
“No, no, and that’s not even what I said. What I said was the tone of it was different, I didn’t say that it was gonna be in the vein of [it] I was using it as an example, so poor example,” he clarified to Vanity Fair while promoting his latest movie, “Paterson.”
“Next time I should say I’m trying to think of another sequel to a movie that’s good. When I read the script, it was not what I expected, in the best of ways,” he added.
“Star Wars: Episode VIII” is set to blast through cinemas on Dec. 15, 2017, followed by the trilogy capper, “Star Wars: Episode IX” rolling out on May 23, 2019.