The much awaited new Power Rangers film that is set to reboot the classic super sentai franchise will start filming early next year, latest reports say.
According to a report by YVRShoots.com, the “big-budget” Power Rangers film is set to hit metro Vancouver for its filming that will start in the winter season. Filming for the movie will start on January 18, 2016, and is expected to wrap up by April 12 of the same year. Additionally, the Directors Guild of Canada-BC Production List revealed that the working production code for the movie is “Shirt”.
Saban’s Power Rangers will be directed by Dean Israeliteof Project Almanac, who has the vision for a “fun, yet grounded take” on the original Power Rangers story. Burk Sharpless and Matt Sazama (The Last Witch Hunter) have reportedly finished writing the first draft of the script of the film, while Ashley Miller and Zack Stentz are developing a “mature” take on it. Franchise creator Haim Saban will be producing the reboot film.
While no specific plot details have been reveled for the film so far, the reboot will reportedly kick off a new story about the first five teenagers who were called upon to become Rangers: Jason, Kimberly, Trini, Billy, and Zack.
Courtesy of Collider, here are the character descriptions for the new Power Rangers:
- Jason 17 years old, the makings of someone or something great if he would just get out of his own way. Jason was a legend of this towna freshman quarterback with the skills to take him all the way. People knew his name. Children wore his jersey. Until, one night Jason wrapped his car around a pole and busted out his knee. Everything Jason was going to become ended in an instant. And with it, he lost himself. When we meet him at the start of the film, he’s a kid in need of redemption. By the end, he’ll be leading this disparate group of teens to shed their individual baggage and find who they truly are.
- Kimberly 17 years old, unconventionally cool all in a way the popular girls wish they were. In fact, she was one of those girls, but isn’t anymore. Not since she’s returned to school after an absence of 6 months. Rumors are flying as to why; rumors she seems not to care about, because she’s come back with this new rebel-without-a-cause, edgy attitude. But the truth is, it’s all masking a deep secret that makes her feel profoundly vulnerable.
- Trini 17 years old, mysterious and extremely bright. Her parents constantly move for work, making Trini the perpetual new girl to any school. A loner who owns it, Trini is self-sufficient, contemplative, but always observant. All she wants is to find her gang of friends, but she’ll never admit it least of all to herself.
- Billy 17 years old, slight and awkward. Billy is challenged in his abilities to communicate and interact socially. Whip-smart and sweet, but always odd. Sometimes in a fun way, sometimes not, Billy is a kid with no filter. Showing his emotions, understanding sarcasm, and dealing with his OCD is a constant challenge. Has never really had any friends and instantly gravitates towards Jason.
- Zack 17 years old, always the life of the party. Filled with bravado and swagger, Zack’s tough and cool on the exterior. A charming guy who’s never had trouble with the one-liner, nor lacked confidence around women. A great athlete that’s never wanted to play on any team but his own. Zack advertises everything about himself, except the truth, which is that he lives in a trailer park with his single mom, and because of it, feels deeply inferior to all his peers.
Lionsgate and Saban Entertainment’s Power Rangers will hit theaters January 13, 2017.