In line with the 20th anniversary of “One Piece,” a live-action Hollywood TV adaptation was announced this month. The creator, however, made clear of his conditions that seem to be strict.
According to a report from Comicbook.com, “One Piece” creator Eiichiro Oda said that the show should live up to the fans’ expectations. “I will never betray the fans who have supported me for 20 years. This is my condition,” said Oda. “There may be many who are uneasy, but please, give me your voices of hope. Please be excited for the follow up reports. Please look forward to it!!” he added.
He noted that the idea of creating a “One Piece” live-action show has been floated many times over the last two decades. It was just three years ago when Oda decided to give the idea a shot. “There were many twists and turns. I met a good partner. Today is the just about the 20th anniversary. The announcement of the new work is actually just a coincidence. I am very happy,” explained Oda.
Meanwhile, TVOvermind reported that Tomorrow ITV Studios will take on the production duties, with Marty Adelstein at the helm. Adelstein is one of the executive producers of the hit TV series “Prison Break,” “Last Man Standing,” and “Teen Wolf.”
With the global success of the manga and anime, it will be a tall order for the live-action show to keep in step. Adelstein said that the show could be one of the most expensive ones in history. However, this could very well be the key to pulling the trick.
Still in line with the franchise’s celebration, 10 “big projects” were announced by Shonen Jump earlier this week. Moreover, a two-hour anime special is slated for Aug. 26. Titled, “Piece Episode of East Blue,” the show will feature new content revolving around Luffy, as he reflects on how his four allies were able to join his team.
In addition, it will also showcase reanimated scenes of the events from the start of the series all the way to Luffy and his gang’s entry into the Grand Line.