North Korea fires ballistic missile again, insists U.S.-South Korea joint military drill should stop

0

North Korea launched a ballistic missile, believed to have come from a submarine, off of the Korean peninsula’s east coast, South Korea revealed.

The Democratic People’s Republic of Korea continues to ignore numerous pleas and warnings about moving forward with their warfare development. The missile was reportedly fired around 6:30 P.M. KST, last Saturday as reported by CNN.

Media outlet KCNA reported that the test, which was administered by the country’s leader, Kim Jong-un, is again a success for the country.

“It fully confirmed and reinforced the reliability of the Korean-style underwater launching system and perfectly met all technical requirements for carrying out … underwater attack operation,” KCNA said as reported by ABC.

Kim appears to be happy with the launch and was even quoted in saying that the DPRK “is now capable of hitting the heads of the South Korean puppet forces and the U.S. imperialists anytime as it pleases.”

The South, however, revealed that the launch appeared to be another failed test citing the missile’s short range and trajectory. The rocket was said to have only flown for about 30 km – 300 km short of what could be touted as a successful test. While both the U.S. and South Korea do not consider the DPRK’s newest missile experiment as an urgent threat to them like what Kim ought it to be, it is once again a provocation for a brewing war. A U.S. official also pointed out that this launch has significant improvements compared to the DPRK’s previous attempts.

Before news broke out about the East Asian country’s newest missile test, North Korean foreign minister Ri Su-yong said that his country will halt any nuclear weapon development if the U.S. halts its annual military exercises with its Southern counterpart.

“Stop the nuclear war exercises in the Korean Peninsula, then we should also cease our nuclear tests,” Ri told the Associated Press in a sit-down interview. As previously reported, North Korea fired missiles towards the South last month at the commencement of the U.S.-SoKor military activity in an effort to show its objection to the joint drill.

Ri also stood by his country’s stance on developing nuclear warfare, which is only to defend itself from the U.S. looming threat on the DPRK. He further explained that if the U.S. will get its hands off of South Korea, the possibility of peace talks will be much increased.

“If we continue on this path of confrontation, this will lead to very catastrophic results, not only for the two countries but for the whole entire world as well,” Ri calmly stated.

Earlier this month, the DPRK published a short propaganda clip threatening South Korea of a hostile attack if their East Asia neighbor will not adhere to their ultimatum.

“It is really crucial for the United States government to withdraw its hostile policy against the DPRK and as an expression of this stop the military exercises, war exercises, in the Korean Peninsula. Then we will respond likewise,” Ri added.