'No Man's Sky' release update: Sean Murray shares how game was almost cancelled once

0

Sean Murray of Hello Games, lead programmer and creator of the highly ambitious and much awaited space-exploration game “No Man’s Sky,” shared in a recent interview a number of interesting stories about the development of the game that aims to be one ofif not the biggestexploration adventures in the world of gaming.

In his recent interview with IGN Unfiltered, Murray shared that at some point, “No Man’s Sky” did not receive the kind of positive feedback and great anticipation that it has right now. Before Murray first unveiled the game at the VGX Awards show last 2013, an initial preview with his colleagues earned discouraging feedback.

When Hello Games got flooded and some of the works for the game got lost as part of the damage, Murray considered leaving the project behind already.

“I think if we hadn’t announced the game, I nearly backed out of it, I think if we had backed out of it, and then had been flooded, it’s hard to know. I think we might have canned No Man’s Sky,” he explained. “Because we would have been feeling really unsure of it. When we were trying to back out of it, we were like, ‘What have we been doing?'”

Murray added that with only six people working on the game, the flooding turned out to be a blessing in disguise as it helped unite them and build a better sense of camaraderie.

Additionally, Murray shared that Kanye West once requested to see the game, but they snubbed him.

“We got a message that said [West] had wanted to see the game,” Murray said. “We weren’t actually on the show floor at E3. So we were like, ‘We’re not on the show floor.’ And he’s like on the show floor. And we’ve got Elon Musk and Steve Spielberg, so we can’t take that Kanye meeting.”

“No Man’s Sky” will be released for the PS4 and PC on June 21.