A couple of months before season 2 of “Narcos” hits Netflix, the brother of notorious drug kingpin Pablo Escobar, Roberto, has sent a formal request for a pre-viewing of the installment before it gets released to the public.
The show has been forthcoming about being tackling the last couple of years of Escobar. And given the sensitivity of the matter, Roberto explains that it is only fair that he gets to review the material first.
“I am submitting a formal, friendly request to review this material solely on an informational basis,” he said via a statement released last Tuesday from Escobar Inc., a company he set up in 2014. “It is depicting me, my life, my family and my brother. I think nobody else in the world is alive to determine the validity of the materials, but me.”
“Narcos” has gained popularity all throughout its debut run last year with Wagner Moura’s critically acclaimed portrayal of “El Padrino.” Season 1 followed the first 15 years of the life of Escobar, starting from the moment he first dabbled in what would become his empire illegal drugs. Despite this, Roberto claims that the first season of the show was riddled with inaccuracies and lies. On top of that gossip site TMZ also supplements that the elder Escobar is also asking for a share of profits from the show, via the same letter. It was however written from an unknown location in Colombia complete with the Escobar family seal on it.
Last year, the CEO of Escobar Inc., Olof K. Gustafsson, talked to Variety with regard to “Narcos,” but since then no other comments had come from their side, until now.
“I think it is important that they recognize Roberto Escobar’s wishes to review the show they are putting out, ensuring the family and viewers of an accurate portrayal of Pablo and Roberto,” Gustafsson told the publication.
Netflix has yet to comment on the situation.
“Narcos” season 2 will be available to stream on Netflix starting Sept. 2