Mojang’s popular sandbox game “Minecraft” received Update 1.9 on Monday, Feb. 29. The new update generally improves the game’s combat mechanics and thus the update is also called Combat Update.
“Minecraft has been updated to 1.9!” Mojang says in its official announcement. “It contains a lot of changes. Most remarkably, the combat mechanics have been updated to make fighting more interesting and offer more map-making options.”
The game’s barebones combat system is getting a revamp through new attacks and the introduction of a cool-down period. In other words, players now need to consider timing in their combat tactics.
The new cool-down feature works through a new attack speed stat which varies depending on tool type and material. This basically means different weapons will have different damage and cool down periods but the core concept is “the faster you swing, the less damage you do,” reports Kotaku. The cooldown mechanic works in tandem with the new rebalances that Mojang rolled out, making axes strong but slow and hoes weak but very fast.
Players also received the new ability to wield dual weapons. This is facilitated by a new inventory slot where players can place a torch, sword, shield, or other item. This means players will no longer need to switch between a torch and a pickaxe, for instance, as they can now hold both.
Mojang has also updated the game’s endgame. The developer has expanded The End and granted players the ability to infinitely respawn the Ender Dragon.
Players will also be saying goodbye to Herobrine, among many other items included in the latest update. Mojang has been working on the Combat Update or Patch 1.9 for more than a year before the developer finally released it on the PC, according to Kotaku.
Here’s the full “Minecraft” 1.9 Combat Update patch notes:
– Added shields
– Attacking now has a “cool-down” delay, making it more important to time your attacks
– Players can now hold items in both hands (default quick key to swap items is ‘F’)
– Swords have a special sweep attack
– Axes have a special crushing blow attack
– Added the elytra
– New mob: Shulker
– Expanded The End
– Added Chorus plants
– New Purpur blocks
– New End Rod block
– Added dragon head block
– Ender Dragon can be resummoned
– Added beetroot and beetroot soup (from MC:PE)
– Added grass path block
– Added igloos
– Armor protection values have been lowered
– Added tipped arrows
– Added spectral arrows
– Added Frost Walker enchantment and frosted ice block
– Added a whole bunch of new sound effects
– Added sound effect subtitles
– Brewing Stand now requires Blaze Powder to activate
– Added skeleton riders
– Fixed MC-10 and a whole bunch of other issues
– Removed Herobrine