Former UFC bantamweight champion Holly Holm experienced her first professional mixed martial arts loss during her maiden title defense on Saturday night.
“The Preacher’s Daughter” was put to sleep by veteran fighter and new champion Miesha Tate via a rear-naked choke in the fifth round of their co-main event fight at UFC 196 in Las Vegas.
Holm dominated the stand-up exchanges until she was first taken down in the second round but survived Tate’s first rear-naked choke attempt. She was not as fortunate in the second attempt, however, but to her credit, she wanted to go out on her shield and did not tap.
UFC president Dana White had previously stipulated that the winner of the said fight between Holm and Tate would be facing shelved former 135-pound queen Ronda Rousey. However, due to Rousey’s other commitments, the date of her return has not been set.
Given the said situation, Holm says she wants another crack at Tate. In a report by Bloody Elbow, the Jackson-Winklejohn Academy standout expressed that she is doing well, physically, but admitted that she was heartbroken about the fight’s outcome.
“I want a rematch. Miesha’s been around a long time,” Holm said. “She’s a tough champion so I’m sure she’ll want to take the fight so let’s do it.”
Prior to being a mixed martial arts fighter, Holm was a decorated world champion boxer with a record 33-2-3, with nine victories by knockout. She also had a brief kickboxing stint, with a record of 2-1.
Striking has evidently been Holm’s biggest strength as she has proven in her MMA career as well (10-1, with seven victories by knockout), but has shown that wrestling and grappling are not her strongest suits.
She did promise that if the rematch with Tate does happen, the outcome would not be the same.
“I gave you a shot, give me a shot,” Holm said. “I’m not going to let you choke me out again.”