'Elder Scrolls Online' news: Creative director joins Gearbox

0

Fans of the Dark Souls franchise might get good news from Namco in this year’s Electronic Entertainment Expo in a couple of weeks.

According to VG247, the company will reportedly unveil details on the third title in the highly successful franchise during the event, which will be held in Los Angeles on June 15.

The website, which cited its source as someone “familiar with the matter,” added that Hidetaka Miyazaki will once again direct the development of the game.

According to iDigital Times, Miyazaki will replace the duo of Tomohiro Shibuya and Yui Tanimura, who directed the second Dark Souls title, Bloodborne.

Miyazaki also directed the first Dark Souls entry, Demon’s Souls.

Bandai has not yet addressed the rumor with a statement.

Ecumenical News said that fans greeted the news with surprise, especially since the developer, From Software, is also currently working on an expansion pack for Bloodborne as announced by Sony executive Shuhei Yoshida last month.

Yoshida had revealed last month in Twitter that the second Dark Souls title will be receiving an “expansion,” details of which will be released “later this year.”

VG247 noted that Yoshida had referred to the pack as an expansion and not as a downloadable content or DLC pack. The news site theorized that it could mean that there will be plenty of new content coming for Bloodborne with the release of the expansion later this year.

Bloodborne’s success in the PlayStation 4 platform was a “surprise” to the head of Sony’s UK unit, Fergal Gara.

Gara said in an article in Destructoid that, although Sony has set high expectations for Bloodborne’s performance in the market, their forecasts proved to be relatively “conservative” compared to the game’s actual sales.

Forbes contributor David Their said that it could be possible Sony will make the rumored Dark Souls 3 another PlayStation 4 exclusive to build up on the game’s success in the platform.