After weeks of deliberation and analysis, Conor McGregor will once again face Nate Diaz in UFC 200 scheduled on July 9 in Las Vegas.
ESPN first broke the news, with UFC officials confirming the tip. The fight will still be at 170 pounds, the same weight division the two fought at earlier this month.
As previously reported, McGregor is adamant in staying at the welterweight division despite countless advices for him to be back to his dominant weight class at 140 pounds.
“He was obsessed — obsessed with fighting Nate Diaz again,” UFC President Dana White said during his appearance in “SportsCenter” on Wednesday as reported by ABC.
“Obviously, Lorenzo and I tried to argue with him and said, ‘Let’s go back to 145 (pounds) and defend your title. Or if you really want the Diaz fight that bad, do it at 155 (pounds).’ He wants the fight at 170,” White continued, referring to UFC Chairman, Lorenzo Fertitta.
White added that even McGregor’s coach, John Kavanagh, tried to persuade him to get his hands off of 170 pounds, but the Irish man could not be convinced.
While “Mystic Mac” is busy proving himself at the heavier division, fighters are already lining up to book a date with him when he gets back to featherweight. This is despite rumors buzzing around that McGregor no longer has any interest cutting back on pounds after bulking up so much to get into his current division.
“Win, lose or draw in this fight against Nate Diaz, (McGregor) will go in and fight either Jose or Frankie,” White said. “Whoever wins at UFC 200,” White stated.
The second meeting between McGregor and Diaz will once again be a non-title match, but the stakes are higher because of the intensified rivalry between the two mixed martial artists especially with how both of them hopped on board to fight in UFC 196 as well as what transpired after. After pulling an upset against McGregor via a rear naked choke, Diaz said a slew of comments implying that he is no longer interested in fighting McGregor, instead his sights are locked in at Rafael dos Anjos who beat him back in 2014.
The McGregor-Diaz rematch will be held at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas which is set to be opened to the public during the annual Cinco de Mayo boxing event top billed by Canelo Alvarez and Amir Khan.