The double murder case against former New England Patriots player Aaron Hernandez is set to go to trial on January 4 next year.
In the meantime, Sports Illustrated (SI) reported jury selection for the double murder case will take place on December 1.
SI also reported that the trial will take place in Suffolk Superior County Court in Massachusetts.
Hernandez is accused of the murder of Safiro Furtado and Daniel de Abreu in 2012, one of which had reportedly spilled a drink on Hernandez at a night club. The altercation eventually led to the shooting of the two men by the football player.
The former Patriot was also convicted in April of the murder of Odin Lloyd in 2013. According to the New York Times (NY Times), Lloyd was dating the sister of the former Patriot’s fiancee.
The conviction sentenced Hernandez to life imprisonment “without possibility of parole,” the NY Times said.
SI said that an appeal has been lodged before the highest court in the State.
In connection with the conviction, ESPN said, Mass.-based newspaper firm GateHouse Media requested the unsealing of juror documents related to the Lloyd murder case.
GateHouse Media claimed that the public had the right to review post-verdict proceedings, and also alleged that an unidentified juror had received information about the case from external sources.
ESPN said that a hearing on GateHouse Media’s motion is set for this week.
A new case was also filed against Hernandez last month in Suffolk County, alleging that he had attempted to silence a witness to the Lloyd murder case by shooting him and leaving him for dead.
The NY Times said that Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel Conley did not specify the victim, but court proceedings suggested that it was Hernandez’s former friend Alexander Bradley.
Hernandez reportedly brought Bradley to an isolated area and shot him between the eyes. He left the victim for dead before fleeing the scene.
SI said that Hernandez pleaded not guilty to witness intimidation.